Saturday, July 4, 2009

4th of July, Streching


Let's all remember the people that died for our freedom today, and celebrate the fact that we have it. I hope you have fun at parades, BBQs, and parties!
I was going to try and find a "Stars and Stripes" video on YouTube but I think they can't be posted because of the Balanchine Trust. So I found a video from a Bossov Ballet demonstration with "Patriotic" music. Enjoy!








Stretching
I got a request for tips on stretching. Summer is a great time to stretch because it's already really hot so you warm up faster.
First, before you stretch you have to warm up. Light jogging in place or jumping jacks normally does the trick. Personally I like wearing layers of clothes; a leotard, tights, legwarmers, sweatpants, and a jacket to speed up the warm up process.
Stretching your hamstrings is very important (http://www.youngwomenshealth.org/fitness/st_hamstring.html)
Other hamstring stretches are touching your toes (It sounds weird but if you touch your toes in the shower it's easier and you can stretch further)
Before doing your splits I would do a few Grande Batments, or kicks.
Then try your right and left splits, hold for 30 seconds. Even If you don't go down very far make sure you have proper placement, back up, one arm on each side, legs STRAIGHT. It might also help do do this on a line so you know you body is in a straight line.
For side splits I would also recommend having a line on the floor (Like Duct Tape)
After warming up I would split as far as you can then lean to the front and put your head on the ground then try to push you hips down. I know this sound weird but it helps. I tried finding a picture but I couldn't let me know if you can't understand it and I'll try to explain it better.
WARNING: A SLIGHT PAIN IS NORMAL. IF YOU FEEL A SEVERE PAIN STOP AND RELAX, IF NOT PROPERLY WARMED UP YOU COULD PULL OR TEAR A MUSCLE.
I hope this helped if not let me know and I'll try again. I am going away this coming week the 6th-10th. I may or may not be posting tomorrow so have a great week. If you have any questions e-mail me or comment I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment